The Wildlife World Barn Owl Box developed jointly with experienced owl conservationists. As a result, it provides a safe and suitable nest site for breeding barn owls. This model has a straight sided design which uses lightweight yet durable materials. This gives barn owls a long-lasting nest site which is easier to install than heavier alternatives.
- Flat pack design for easy transportation
- Handmade from solid FSC certified timber and recycled agricultural plastic
- Slow-seasoned timber negates the need for chemical, stains or artificial preservatives
- Lightweight making for easier installation
- Recycled plastic upper and lower hanging/fixing plates
- Generous sized front platform and flat roof top for landing area/fledgling wing exercise
- Deep interior space for chick safety
- Large front inspection door with bolt
- Drilled floor for drainage and ventilation
- Fitted with camera clip (a camera is a legal way to monitor this protected species without disturbing them)
Barns owls are birds of open countryside (not woodland). Therefore, position the Barn Owl Box on a tree in the open, in a building or on a barn at the edge of woodland. After finding a suitable location, firstly you should site the box high up, 2.5m – 5m, ideally face east, NE or SE. Secondly, remember to ensure a clear flight path to the box.
Barn owls are particularly vulnerable to being hit by traffic because of their low-level hunting style. Therefore, you should not locate your Barn Owl Box within 1/2 mile of major roads.
The presence of vole rich grasslands and less intensively managed habitat is the key to success in selecting a nest box site.